Monday, April 11, 2011

First Birthday Party

 Time flies.  They grow up so fast.  Has it been a year already? 
It's all oversaid...and all so true.

It's been a blink since I was pregnant, and yesterday we had Michael and Sophie's first birthday party!

I like to bake, but I seriously never thought I'd make a birthday cake in the shape of anything other than a cake pan.  When searching "rubber ducky birthday party" online I stumbled on a video that showed how to make this.  Super simple.  It confirmed the theme.  He was chocolate with my grandma's buttercream frosting (my mom made the frosting to save me the work).


I wanted Michael and Sophie to have their own cupcakes to eat, so I made some of those as well.  They're a yellow cake mix, but I brushed on a glaze of lemon juice and confectioners sugar when they came out of the oven and stirred lemon zest into the frosting.  I was pleased with the hint of flavor.  Michael and Sophie haven't had citrus yet, so I set theirs aside beforehand.

I bought the personalized banner and paper lanterns from Oriental Trading.  They were a great price and nice quality.  They'll be hanging in our kitchen all week!
Grammie brought Michael into the kitchen for some peek-a-boo with Sophie.  Nothing makes them smile more than each other!
Grandma showed Sophie the decorations.

This was their first taste of cake, but Michael didn't miss a beat.
Sophie needed a little help getting started but did good work too!

The playroom came in handy even for the big kids.
I made favors for every family (bubbles and a duck that squirts)...and neglected to give out even one! 
They may be showing up on doorsteps.

1 comment:

  1. Well done on the ducky cake and cupcakes! Looks like such a fun party. Sophie and Michael are adorable. Happy first birthday kiddos!

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers love comments!

If you stop by for a visit, please leave a note. I would love to know who's checking in on us!