Saturday, November 10, 2012

From Boo to Thanks

Since I posted our Halloween shelves and simple craft, I thought I'd do the same for the Thanksgiving change-over.
 
Thanks-1
 
 
 
 
I was inspired by The Naptime Decorator's Thanksgiving candle holder craft from last year and wanted to do something that incorporated the word "Thanks" similarly.  I bought the wooden letters at Michael's for a few bucks each.  While I wish I had caught them on sale or had a coupon that would have provided significant savings, I knew I would spend $20 on a similar decoration at Home Goods, perhaps even more from Pottery Barn (ok, it might not be that cute), so $18 wasn't out of the question.  Ultimately what made the sale was my urge to do this craft (crafters feel me) and having a naptime that day during which to crank it out.
 
 
I traced each letter backwards on the back side of scrapbook paper (I love that stuff but don't actually scrapbook) and then freehanded the outline maybe 1/8 of an inch inside the first one to be sure there would be a little white showing around the colored paper once it wast attached to the letters.  I cut following those inside lines and wasn't super precise at all with the tracing nor the cutting.  I was confident that taking it easy like that would add some folksie charm.  I put my Mod Podge to work, and the whole project was done in about an hour. 
 
Thanks-2

I bought the wreath and owls from Michael's as well.  The rest I already had, mostly from the fall shelves project.  I know the owl motif has pretty much come and gone at this point...but there were two of them looking up at me from the store shelf, one green and Michael-y and one red and Sophie-ish.  I couldn't just leave them there, could I?

See more fun and "happy" craft ideas at Whipperberry!

Whipperberry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers love comments!

If you stop by for a visit, please leave a note. I would love to know who's checking in on us!