Monday, June 4, 2012

No-bake Yummies

Speaking of living in the during phase of a home improvement project and going to a MoMs picnic, I realized on Saturday that I was not going to be able to make those brownies I signed up to bring to this year.  Our oven is currently disconnected on the opposite side of the kitchen from the gas line and will be out of commission until Monday night at the earliest.

So I improvised and made these instead:


If, like myself until Saturday, you've never attempted to make chocoloate covered strawberries, I strongly encourage you to do so.  They are well worth the minimal effort they require.

You can search Pinterest or just Google "chocolate covered strawberries" to find plenty of recipes, but here's what I did--a combination of a few ideas such as this one.

Ingredients:
2 lbs of washed and dried strawberries
2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 tbsp vegetable shortening
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Supplies:
microwavable bowl (cereal sized)
microwavable gravy boat or just another bowl
ziplock bag
cookie sheet
wax paper

Melt the chocolate chips and shortnening in the bowl for thirty seconds at a time, stirring in between, stopping when creamy.  Hold the strawberries by their stems, dip them in the chocolate, and rest them on the wax paper on a cookie sheet.  Refrigerate until solid.

Melt the white chocolate chips in the gravy boat using the same method as before.  Pour it into the ziplock bag, and cut off a tiny bit of one corner.  Drizzle the white chocolate over the already dipped berries.  Refrigerate again.

If you serve the strawberries cold, the chocolate will be crunchy.  If you leave at room temperature, the chocolate gets somewhat creamy.

I think I know what Mike will be getting for Valentine's Day 2013...perhaps dark chocoloate this time, maybe some nuts.  On second thought, maybe I should make these for our anniversary in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers love comments!

If you stop by for a visit, please leave a note. I would love to know who's checking in on us!