Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cheater Soup


Somewhere between soggy-noodled, sodium-rich canned soups and the homemade richness of the turkey frame soup my grandma used to make lies what I refer to as Cheater Soup.  I made it for lunch on this snowy day at home with my kids.

Here's the "recipe."

Saute a bag of frozen mirepoix blend (toddler-sized carrots, onions, and celery).  Add a can of diced tomatoes.  Season with whatever (I used Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle).  Pour in two boxes of organic chicken stock and two-ish cups of water.  Bring to a boil.  Add a box of whole grain rotini and cook until tender. 

                                                     

 Since I don't serve much broth to the kids, to them this surely looks like yet another pasta with vegetables and/or meat concoction that I often serve them (our recent favorite of those is penne, ground turkey, olives, feta cheese, and Greek dresssing). 

This one is different to me at least.  What was in my bowl was some healthy comfort food that only took 15 minutes away from this snowy day at home with my kids to prepare.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers love comments!

If you stop by for a visit, please leave a note. I would love to know who's checking in on us!